18th Annual Academy Awards Coverage (1946)
- Date of Ceremony: Thursday, March 7, 1946
- For films released in: 1945
- Location: Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Los Angeles, California
- Host(s): James Stewart and Bob Hope
The war was over and tuxedos and evening gowns were once again the required attire for the 18th Academy Awards.
Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Hollywood would once again play host to the big event.
The Bells of St. Mary’s, a sequel to last year’s Best Picture winner Going My Way , led the pack with 8 nominations with The Lost Weekend right behind it with seven.
It was the last year that the sound and music categories would have a huge list of nominees. A new rule change meant the nominees would be limited to five in future years.
- The Bells of St. Mary's: 8
- The Lost Weekend: 7
- Mildred Pierce: 6
- A Song to Remember: 6
- Spellbound: 6
- Anchors Aweigh: 5
- National Velvet: 5