28th Annual Academy Awards Coverage (1956)
- Date of Ceremony: Wednesday, March 21, 1956
- For films released in: 1955
- Location: RKO Pantages Theatre, Los Angeles, California and NBC Century Theatre, New York New York
- Host(s): Jerry Lewis (video), Claudette Colbert (video) and Joseph L. Mankiewicz (video)
Heading towards the 28th Academy Awards on March 21st, 1956, three films were tied with 8 nominations apiece: Marty, Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing and The Rose Tattoo.
For an industry that was running scared from the threat of TV, it was interesting to see Marty in the running. Though many Academy Award-winning movies were based on plays and books, this was the first nominee to have been adapted from a TV movie, that version airing two years earlier on the The Goodyear Television Playhouse.
Also of note: James Dean became the first actor to receive a posthumous nomination, for his role in East of Eden.
- Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing: 8
- Marty: 8
- The Rose Tattoo: 8
- Picnic: 6
- Love Me or Leave Me: 6