Nine films move on in Foreign Language Oscar category
Dec 15, 2016 by Ian Evans
Nine features have advanced to the next round of voting in the Foreign Language Film category for the 89th Academy Awards. Eighty-five films had originally been considered in the category.
The films, listed in alphabetical order by country, are:
- Australia, Tanna, Bentley Dean, Martin Butler, directors
- Canada, It’s Only the End of the World, Xavier Dolan, director
- Denmark, Land of Mine, Martin Zandvliet, director
- Germany, Toni Erdmann, Maren Ade, director
- Iran, The Salesman, Asghar Farhadi, director
- Norway, The King’s Choice, Erik Poppe, director
- Russia, Paradise, Andrei Konchalovsky, director
- Sweden, A Man Called Ove, Hannes Holm, director
- Switzerland, My Life as a Zucchini, Claude Barras, director
The shortlist will be winnowed down to the category’s five nominees by specially invited committees in New York, Los Angeles and London. They will spend Friday, January 13, through Sunday, January 15, viewing three films each day and then casting their ballots.
Nominations for the 89th Oscars will be announced on Tuesday, January 24, 2017. Stick with DigitaHit.com for your 89th Academy Awards coverage.