Foreign finalists for Student Academy Awards named
Apr 29, 2008 by Ian Evans
Out of 45 entries representing 29 foreign countries, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has chosen five finalists who will be eligible to win the 2008 Honorary Foreign Film award in the 35th Annual Student Academy Awards® competition.
The winning student filmmaker will be brought to Los Angeles, along with U.S.-based Student Academy Award winners, to participate in a week of industry-related activities and social events that will culminate in the awards presentation ceremony on June 7 in Beverly Hills.
The finalists are (listed in alphabetical order of film title):
- I Am Bigger and Better, Martin Duda, Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts, Prague, Czech Republic
- New Dress, Sergi Perez, Escola Superior de Cinema i Audiovisuals de Catalunya, Spain
- On the Line, Reto Caffi, Academy of Media Arts Cologne, Germany
- Roads, Lior Geller, Tel Aviv University Film and Television Department, Israel
- Vučko, Matev Luzar, University of Ljubljana – Akademija za Gledališèe Radio Film in Televizijo, Slovenia
This is the first time a film from Slovenia has made it to the finals in the Honorary Foreign Film category.
Tickets for the 35th Annual Student Academy Awards presentation ceremony, at which the winning foreign student film and the Gold Medal award-winning films from the U.S. will be screened in their entirety, are free and will be available beginning May 1. Visit oscars.org for more details.