17 scientific achievements up for 79th Oscars
Sep 08, 2006 by Ian Evans
The Scientific and Technical Awards Committee of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today that 17 scientific and technical achievements have been selected for further awards consideration.
The committee has selected the following methods or devices for further consideration:
- Rosetta Separations — Digital YCM Masters for Digital Film Preservation; Pacific Title and Art Studio
- Archival Separations from Digital Image Data; Technicolor Digital Intermediates
- HFC Brumagic MPST Densitometer; Hollywood Film Company
- SnoBiz®; CITC
- Arriflex 235 Camera System; Arri Inc.
- Ultra-Solution Digital Registration of Technicolor 3-Strip Motion Pictures; AOL, LLC
- Harmony/Opus; Toon Boom Animation, Inc.
- Rotoshop – Interpolated-Rotoscoping Software; Flat Black Films
- A Flexible Hair Grooming and Rendering System; Weta Digital
- “Shave and a Haircut”; Joe Alter
- Image-Based Modeling; Industrial Light & Magic
- Open EXR; Industrial Light & Magic
- “Final Draft”; Final Draft, Inc.
- Furnace, Motion Estimation Technology; The Foundry
- Industry Conversion to Cyan Analog Dye Soundtracks; Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
- DFS (Digital Foley Station); Ascent Media
- “cmotion” Radio Remote Control System; cmotion GmbH
The committee will meet in early December to vote on recommendations to the Academy’s Board of Governors, which will make the final awards decisions.
The Scientific and Technical Awards will be presented at the Regent Beverly Wilshire hotel in Beverly Hills on Saturday, February 10, 2007.