30th Annual Academy Awards Coverage (1958)
- Date of Ceremony: Wednesday, March 26, 1958
- For films released in: 1957
- Location: RKO Pantages Theatre, Los Angeles, California
- Host(s): Bob Hope, Rosalind Russell, David Niven, James Stewart, Jack Lemmon and Donald Duck
Some big changes were afoot for the 30th Academy Awards, which were to take place on Wednesday, March 26, 1958.
For the first five years of its television existence, the Oscars® had been sponsored by the usual assortment of consumer goods sponsors, but the 30th year marked the first of three years where the broadcast was fully sponsored by the industry, allowing all the commercials to hawk upcoming films.
There was also a big change in the voting rules. Since 1946, the nominations had been made by 12,000 industry members from the Academy, guilds and unions while the final vote was made by the Academy members. Now the whole process was entirely in the hands of Academy voters.
Once again, there was some interesting name changes in the nominations caused by the Hollywood blacklist.
- Sayonara: 10
- Peyton Place: 9
- The Bridge on the River Kwai: 8
- Witness for the Prosecution: 6