Ten animated shorts advance in Oscar race
Nov 23, 2016 by Ian Evans
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced that ten animated short films will advance in the voting process for the 89th Academy Awards. Sixty-nine pictures had originally qualified in the category.
The 10 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:
- Blind Vaysha, Theodore Ushev, director (National Film Board of Canada)
- Borrowed Time, Andrew Coats and Lou Hamou-Lhadj, directors (Quorum Films)
- Happy End, Jan Saska, director (FAMU – Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague)
- The Head Vanishes, Franck Dion, director (Papy3D Productions, National Film Board of Canada and ARTE France Cinema Department)
- Inner Workings, Leo Matsuda, director, and Sean Lurie, producer (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
- Once upon a Line, Alicja Jasina, director (University of Southern California)
- Pear Cider and Cigarettes, Robert Valley, director, and Cara Speller, producer (Massive Swerve Studios and Passion Pictures Animation)
- Pearl, Patrick Osborne, director (Google Spotlight Stories/Evil Eye Pictures)
- Piper, Alan Barillaro, director, and Marc Sondheimer, producer (Pixar Animation Studios)
- Sous Tes Doigts (Under Your Fingers), Marie-Christine Courtès, director, and Ludivine Berthouloux, art director (Vivement Lundi! and Novanima)
Short Films and Feature Animation Branch members will now select five nominees from among the 10 titles on the shortlist. Nominations for the 89th Oscars will be announced on Tuesday, January 24, 2017. Stick with DigitaHit.com for your 89th Academy Awards coverage.