17 scientific achievements in competition for 78th Academy Awards
Sep 08, 2005 by Ian Evans
The Scientific and Technical Awards Committee of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today that seventeen scientific and technical achievements have been selected for 78th Academy Awards consideration.
“This list of achievements is announced to allow individuals and companies with similar technology or claims of prior art the opportunity to submit their technology for review,” said Scientific and Technical Awards Committee Chair Richard Edlund.
The committee has selected the following methods or devices for consideration:
- Sparrow Head; Doggicam Systems
- High Speed Pneumatic Accelerator; Jeff Haberstad
- Precision Stunt Airbag; Precision Stunt Safety Specialists
- Telescoping Scissor Camera Crane; Filmotechnic
- Gyrostabilized Autorobot/Russian Arm Camera Crane; Filmotechnic
- Traveling Cascade Camera Crane; Filmotechnic
- Cablecam’s Multi-Axis Systems; Cablecam International, Inc.
- Syflex—The Cloth Simulator; Syflex, LLC
- Cloth Simulation for Film; Pixar Animation Studios
- ILM: Image-Based Modeling; Industrial Light & Magic
- Ambient Environment Lighting; Industrial Light & Magic
- Subdivision Surfaces in Motion Picture Production; Pixar Animation Studios
- Rosetta Separations—Digital YCM Masters for Digital Film Preservation; Pacific Title and Art Studio
- Realtime Answer Print System; Technicolor
- HFC Brumagic MPST Densitometer; Hollywood Film Company
- Cinelux Premiere Cinema Projection Lenses; Schneider Optics, Inc.
- Aerohead Remote Camera Head and J-Viz Pre-Visualization System; Aerohead LLC
According to Awards Administration Director Rich Miller, the committee will meet on Wednesday, December 7, to vote on recommendations to the Academy’s Board of Governors, which will make final awards decisions.
The Scientific and Technical Awards will be presented at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills on Saturday, February 18, 2006.
Stick with DigitalHit.com for all your Academy Awards coverage.