36th Annual Academy Awards Coverage (1964)
- Date of Ceremony: Monday, April 13, 1964
- For films released in: 1963
- Location: Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, California
- Host(s): Jack Lemmon (video)
The 36th Academy Awards were taking place at a time of change in the United States. The assassination of President John F. Kennedy had happened just over four months earlier than the ceremony on Monday, April 13th, 1964. The Vietnam War was about to get full U.S. involvement and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was just month away.
The British Invasion had just been launched musically by The Beatles and the Oscar nominations reflected their own invasion, with British comedy Tom Jones leading the pack with ten nods, including three of the five Best Supporting Actress nominations. The epic Richard Burton/Elizabeth Taylor flick Cleopatra was right behind it with nine nominations.
- Tom Jones: 10
- Cleopatra: 9
- How the West Was Won: 8
- Hud: 7
- The Cardinal: 6
- It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: 6
- Lilies of the Field: 5
- Federico Fellini's 8-1/2: 5
- Love with the Proper Stranger: 5